World Cup winner Sir Geoff Hurst has become the latest addition to the football legends appearing at Blackwell Meadows later this year, as part of the Marathon Bet Legends game.
Sir Geoff Hurst is best known for scoring a memorable hat trick in the 1966 World Cup final against West Germany, which England went on to win 4-2.
The former West Ham and Stroke striker will manage a team of football legends who will be facing Darlington FC at their home ground, Blackweall Meadows, on Sunday, July 29th, 2018.
Among the famous faces already confirmed for the football legends side are:
- Joleon Lescott – ex Everton and Manchester City; 26 England caps
- Kieron Dyer – ex Ipswich and Newcastle; 33 England caps
- Danny Mills – ex Leeds and Middlesbrough; 19 England caps
- Luke Young – ex Charlton, Tottenham and Middlesbrough; 7 England caps
- Alan Stubbs – ex Bolton, Celtic and Everton
- Wayne Bridge – ex Southampton, Chelsea and Manchester City – 36 England caps
- Emile Heskey – ex Leicester and Liverpool; 62 England caps
- Chris Waddle – ex Newcastle and Tottenham; 62 England caps
- Richard Dunne – ex Everton and Manchester City; 80 Republic of Ireland caps
The Quakers were awarded the tie after winning the Marathon Bet Non League challenge – a fan poll to vote for the best non-league goal celebration.
Darlington FC striker Reece Styche won the poll for his celebration against Chorley FC on Saturday, January 20th, 2018, which involved jumping into a large pile of snow that fans had cleared off the pitch earlier that day.
The club also received £20,000 in prize money.
John Tempest, director of Darlington FC, said: “We must say a huge thank you to everyone who voted for us — this will make a huge difference to the club.”
Chris Stockdale, chair of the Darlington FC Supporters Group, added: “I would like to thank everyone who voted, and all those who persuaded their friends and colleagues to vote as well.
“And special thanks to all the volunteers who helped clear the pitch for the Chorley game that day, and for leaving a pile of snow for Reece Styche to jump into!”
The Marathon Bet Legends game will be held at Blackwell Meadows on Sunday, July 29th, 2018. Further details can be found on the Darlington FC website.
Source: Darlington Football Club